Cosmetic Veneers and Dental Crowns
Beautify your smile with cosmetic veneers and dental crowns from Franklin and Centerville Areas dentists
Cosmetic veneers and dental crowns are two very popular smile enhancement treatments at Kori & Everhart Advanced Dentistry in Franklin, and Centerville.
Cosmetic veneers are made of a hard porcelain material that beautifully mimics natural teeth. The choice to have veneers placed requires a consultation with one of our dentists to discuss the treatment and see if veneers are a good option for you. They require less tooth removal than a traditional crown, largely keeping your own tooth structure intact.
Your teeth are minimally prepared for veneers. Then the veneers are created at a professional lab. You return in about a two weeks to have them placed. A special light is used to activate the bonding agent to ensure good adhesion to the teeth. Your dentist will recommend a night guard to protect the veneers if you clench and grind your teeth at night. A follow up visit is highly recommended, to allow the dentist to see how your mouth is adapting to the veneers.
Wafer thin veneers cover the teeth to:
- Make them look straighter.
- Lengthen the teeth.
- Close spaces.
- Cover twisted, misshapen, or smaller teeth.
- Cover dark or stained teeth that are resistant to whitening.
A dental crown is “cap” that is placed over a tooth. Its purpose is to restore size, shape, and strength, and possibly to improve the appearance of the existing tooth, as well.
Getting a crown is generally a two office visit procedure. The first appointment is to prepare the tooth, take impressions, and have a temporary crown placed. At the second visit, roughly three to four weeks later, the permanent crown is placed.
A crown may be needed for a number of reasons:
- Restore a broken tooth or one that is severely worn.
- Protect a weakened tooth from breakage, or to hold parts of a cracked tooth together.
- Cover and protect a tooth that contains a large filling, or a tooth that has had root canal therapy.
- Restore severely discolored or misshapen teeth.
- Restore a dental implant.
- Hold a bridge in place.
We currently offer these types of crowns:
- Zirconia – metal free, very strong, excellent esthetics.
- Porcelain fused to noble metal – very strong, used mostly on posterior (back) teeth.
- Gold – all metal, the strongest of all crowns.